Friday, June 22, 2012

A Toast to the Brits Part Two-Masterpiece Theater




My latest obsession comes courtesy of PBS’s “Masterpiece”-formally known as “Masterpiece Theater”- and due in part to SCAD’s very welcomed guest, author Carol Wallace. Over 20 years ago, Ms. Wallace wrote the book “ToMarry an English Lord”, which later inspired Julian Fellows to create  “Downton Abbey”, “Masterpiece’s” most recent installment in their forty year roster of British drama series.


 My relationship with “Masterpiece”-I’ll add the “Theater”for old times sake- began in the ‘80s, during wearily hot childhood summers in South Georgia, where, at my grandmother’s house, the only channel with reception was PBS. So my summer television playlist consisted of “Sesame Street” in the mornings and evenings with Alistair Cook,“Masterpiece Theater’s” dignified host, and perhaps one of the most badly imitated personalities in television.

“Masterpiece Theater” is the longest running drama series in television history, beginning in 1971 with dramas like “The First Churchills”, about the life of the first Duke and Duchess of Marlborough. The series has been awarded a slew of both Emmy and Peabody Awards practically every year since its debut. Admittedly, as a sevenyear old, the only thing intriguing to me about these shows were the exquisite clothes and haughty accents. And, according to my grandma, the more I tuned in, the better my table manners became. I eventually developed an appreciation for the subtle pacing and intense build up of drama that these shows presented, and now regard "Downton Abbey"as a classic in the making.

Many people associate the series more with its original theme song than with any of the shows. The infectiously majestic music, which was written for the court of Louis XV, King of France circa 1729, has that uncanny ability to stay embedded in one's head once you hear it. So let's hear it...


Oh and I just gotta give you this...Cookie Monster does it so well. Cheerio!






No comments:

Post a Comment