Friday, April 27, 2012

And Many More...Happy B-day to Fox Television and Carol Burnett



Somehow, I’ve been suckered into helping with the plans for my 20 year high school reunion.  So I’ve been spending the past few weeks summoning spirits of the 90s. You know-squeezing into my Nirvana concert tee, going to indy coffee houses, trying to find something that will play a CD, and watching “Fox Television’s 25thAnniversary” last Sunday.


Ahhh…those were the good ole’days of T.V.  I remember spending Sunday nights with my eyes glued to the tube to absorb one of the funniest, most groundbreaking sketch comedy shows in television history, Fox’s “In Living Color”.  Back when Jennifer Lopez was just a dancing “Fly Girl”, “In Living Color” was the brainchild of brothers Damon and KennanWayans. The show ran from 1990 to 1994 and was a huge hit for Fox, launching J-lo’s illustrious career, but also that of many others like Jamie Foxx and Jim Carrey. The skits were absolutely as politically incorrect as a show could get on network television.  Even watching some of the skits now,  I find myself slightly cringing as I guffaw. But that was the appeal of this show. Audiences could always count on this brilliant cast to push the envelope to make them feel so uncomfortable that they just had to laugh. 

FOX's "In Living Color" circa 1992
Nothin' says "1990s" like Tommy Davidson and Hammer pants...



Happy 25th Fox Network.

And while I am giving out birthday love, it’s only appropriate for me to give a shout out to the Godmother of sketch comedy, the wonderful Ms. Carol Burnett.  She turned 79 years young this week, on April 26.



Carol Burnett was responsible for blessing American television with the “Carol Burnett Show", a sketch and variety comedy that is often regarded as one of the best shows in television history. Impeccable comedic timing, intelligent writing, and fantastic talent is what made this show garner 25 Emmy awards during its run from 1967 to 1978 on CBS. "The Carol Burdett Show" was known to feature an impressive roster of legendary gueststars, such as Lucille Ball, Ella Fitzgerald, Merv Griffin, Rita Hayworth, The Jackson Five… omigod, the list goes on and on!  One of the most hilarious skits is the parody of  the movie “Gone With the Wind”. This skit has become so iconic that the Smithsonian displays the curtain dress that Carol’s version of “Scarlett O’Hara” wore.  


My personal favorites are the “Miss Wiggins” skits,where Carol plays a woman who was possibly the worst secretary ever. Check it out... 





Carol's take on The Dumb Blonde cliche reminds me that I'm supposed to be doing a theme here. Well, as television history has provided us with a smorgasbord of them, I will definitely continue my musings on character cliches sooner than later.

Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment