Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father Knows Best



For me, trying to figure out the best thing to get my Dad for Father’s Day was always an interesting ordeal- a fun introspection into his simple yet complex personality. My siblings and I tortured ourselves every June, trying to find the perfect gift even though he always told us exactly what he wanted-nothing. Of course, that was just not enough for us.

What do you get the guy that wants nothing?? His hobbies were supporting our family Monday through Saturday, and resting in his La-Z Boy Chair on Sunday. He had the fashion sense of Charlie Brown, as his closet was filled with the same Guyabera styled shirts which he wore every single day. He was definitely not Mr. Fix It, so tools were out of the question.  My mother would skim through those Sears Father’s Day sales papers with futile longing, knowing that electric drills and Hemi powered lawn mowers just didn’t do it for Al. He was not a techie, still using a dot matrix printer for his insurance business well into the 21st century.

One year, not to long before he passed, Dad finally told me exactly what he wanted for Father's Day: to know that his wife, kids, and grandkids were all doing okay. And to get some rest. And dinner.

Funny thing is that it has been four years since Dad passed, and I still find myself searching for pointless gifts to show him just how much I love and miss him. I do finally get the picture though. There's nothing in any store or Sears sales paper that could possibly amount to the gift his life gave me and my siblings. He was a father who cared and loved us enough to simply be there for us.

So I hope he is lounging in his La-Z-Boy chair in the sky, knowing that, although we've had a difficult time without his loving simplicity, his wife, kids, and grandkids are all doing okay. Rest in peace, Dad.

Al and the Fam

And this is for all the Dad's and their eclectic collection of pointless Father's Day gifts. Happy Father's Day!


Bill Cosby as "Heathcliff Huxtable", one of TV's best all around Dads.

No comments:

Post a Comment